Wartime Wednesday: Gingerbread People Cookies
One of the desserts I think of when Christmas comes to mind is cookies. Snickerdoodles, chocolate chip, pumpkin cookies, and GINGERBREAD MEN, although I guess nowadays, it's more correct to say Gingerbread People. So without further ado, here is a fun and easy WWII recipe for this yummy treat:
- 350g plain flour. (approx. 12 oz.)
- 140g of butter or margarine (approx. 5 oz.)
- 100g dark brown sugar (approx. 3 oz.)
- 3tbsp golden syrup (or molasses)
- 1tbsp ground flaxseed (mix with 2.5 tablespoons of hot water, it helps hold the mixture together when baking)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- Mix the flaxseed with 2.5 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well and set aside to thicken.
- Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan on a low heat stirring slowly until all runny and melted. Set this aside in a mixing bowl to cool down a bit.
- Stir in the flaxseed mixture thoroughly.
- Add in the sieved flour, bicarbonate of soda, pinch of salt and all the spices and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Wrap or place in container and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (180C for non-U.S. bakers)
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 0.5cm and start stamping out the gingerbread.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Cook for about 15 minutes (slightly more or less according to your oven)
- Remove from oven when cooked. Leave on sheet to cool down for 15 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Once fully cold then you can keep in an airtight container for about a week or so.
- Decorate with icing sugar when fully cold. If no icing sugar is available dent the dough before cooking to form eyes, mouth and buttons! Or just decorate with anything you’ve got!
Experience the magic of Christmas in this heartwarming anthology featuring ten talented authors, as they weave enchanting tales of clean and Christian romance. Delight in the spirit of the season, where love, faith, and miracles come together to create unforgettable holiday moments. All proceeds from this anthology will be donated to a life pregnancy center to be announced soon!